Here at Brody Pennell, we do air conditioner installations and AC replacements pretty much every day. But we know that this process is new to you. In fact, most homeowners will replace an air conditioner just a few times in their lives! With that in mind, we’ve created this blog to help set expectations for your new AC install. You’ll learn how to prepare, what to expect day-of, and how to keep your AC running in top-notch condition after we leave.
How To Prepare Your Home For AC Installation
We encourage all homeowners to prepare ahead of time for their new air conditioner installation. With your help, we can ensure our visit goes fast and smoothly.
- Clear Access to Outdoor Unit – We’ll need a clear and direct path to the location of your existing condenser unit and/or where the new unit will be installed. You can help us by unlocking gates, clearing away overgrown bushes, and moving any yard furniture or other items that would be in the pathway of our install team.
- Check the Indoor Pathway – Do a quick visual scan of the pathway from where we’ll park our truck all the way to where we’ll install your new indoor unit. It will be an immense help if you can move any small furniture pieces or indoor plants ahead of time. If there are any items hanging on the wall that are especially fragile or require special care, relocate them for the time being.
- Clear Clutter – Over the years we have noticed many of our customers love to store things near their air conditioners! You can save our team a lot of time by relocating your holiday decorations, vacuum cleaner, or any other clutter you have stored next to or nearby the equipment. We’ll need at least 6 feet of clearance on all sides of the equipment. This is the perfect excuse for some spring cleaning!
- Arrange to Be Available on Install Day – We need an adult over 18 years of age onsite at your home to supervise the install.
- Make a Plan for Your Pets – We’ll be making some loud noises, entering and exiting doors, and loading in some heavy equipment. For the safety of your animals, please secure them to a closed-off space in your home. Remember – we’ll be working outside, too, so your yard may not be the best option. You might treat your pets to a day at a local pet daycare!
- Arrange for Childcare – For your family’s safety, children should remain far away from our working areas. If possible, plan for children to be out of the home for the duration of the install.
What To Expect the Day of Your New AC Installation
The day is here! Cool comfort is heading your way. Most air conditioner installations will take about 8 hours to complete. The length of the job varies depending on type of job (install in a new construction home or replacement of existing AC).
You will receive a text message and email reminder the evening before your appointment. The message will provide you with your arrival window. On the day of your air conditioner install, you’ll receive an email and a text when our technician is on the way. The message includes a GPS tracking link so that you know the exact location and estimated time of arrival. Now’s the time to secure your pets and make sure any other family members are safely away from the working area.
Our team will arrive on-time with your brand new air conditioner and everything required for installation. The lead installer will introduce themselves and inspect the paths leading to the equipment installation area. The team will lay drop cloths and floor coverings to protect your home. Every Brody Pennell technician will be wearing shoe covers inside your home to prevent tracking in any dirt or dust from outside. Then we’ll get straight to work!
Relax! A new, energy-efficient air conditioning system is just a few hours away.
As we wrap up for the day, our team will be sure to show you how to operate your thermostat with your new system. We’ll pick up all of our drop cloths and floor covers, and clean up any dust or debris produced from our installation work.
How To Take Care of Your New AC System
Congratulations! You have a brand new home appliance. Just like any other machine, the wear and tear begins from Day 1. The best way to take care of your new air conditioner is to schedule annual AC maintenance. Regular tune ups are required by air conditioner manufacturers to keep your warranty intact. We strongly recommend all homeowners join our Brody Comfort Club – which includes automatic scheduling of your 26-point air conditioning precision tuneup. Ask your installer for details on how to sign up!
From all of us here at Brody Pennell, welcome to the family! We look forward to serving you for many years to come. We’re Here For You: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.